Even though the denomination had long since stopped circulating, production continued in limited fashion to satisfy demand from collectors. The 2009 Kennedy Half Dollar (Buy on eBay) was available within an array of numismatic products including rolls, bags, and as part of various annual sets.
On January 22, 2009, the US Mint began sales of 2009-dated half dollars within two roll sets priced at $32.95 and 200-coin bags priced at $130.95. Each product included an equal number of circulation strike coins from the Philadelphia and Denver Mints. Final production for this version of the coin reached 1,900,000 pieces from each mint.
Later in the year on June 1, 2009, the proof version of the Kennedy Half Dollar made its first appearance within the annual proof set. This was followed by the 90% silver proof version of the coin within the annual silver proof set on July 17. The final mintages for these coins, based on total set sales, reached 1,482,502 and 697,365, respectively.
On October 1, 2009, the satin finish versions of the half dollar struck at the Philadelphia and Denver Mint were made available within the 2009 Uncirculated Coin Set.
2009 Kennedy Half Dollar Mintage and Specifications
- Circulation Mintage: 1,900,000 (Philadelphia), 1,900,000 (Denver)
- Proof Mintage: 1,482,502 (copper-nickel), 697,365 (silver proof)
- Mint Marks: P (Philadelphia), D (Denver), S (San Francisco)
- Composition: 91.67% copper, 8.33% nickel (standard) / 90% silver, 10% copper (silver proof)
- Weight: 11.34 grams (standard) / 12.50 grams (silver proof)
- Diameter: 30.61 mm