The 1998 Kennedy Half Dollar (Buy on eBay) saw mintages decline for the circulation strike versions produced at the Philadelphia and Denver Mints. Each saw mintages of around 15 million coins, compared to around 20 million for the prior year.
In addition to the clad proof and 90% silver proof versions, a special collector version of the coin was also available this year. The 1998 Matte Proof Kennedy Half Dollar was included in a the Kennedy Collector’s Set issued for the commemorative coin program honoring Robert F. Kennedy. Due to the limited number of sets sold, the matte proof coin has a low mintage and is considered one of the modern keys of the series.
1998 Kennedy Half Dollar Mintage and Specifications
- Circulation Mintage: 15,646,000 (Philadelphia), 15,064,000 (Denver)
- Proof Mintage: 2,086,507 (copper-nickel), 878,792 (silver proof)
- Mint Marks: P (Philadelphia), D (Denver), S (San Francisco)
- Composition: 91.67% copper, 8.33% nickel (standard) / 90% silver, 10% copper (silver proof)
- Weight: 11.34 grams (standard) / 12.50 grams (silver proof)
- Diameter: 30.61 mm