As had become customary, the United States Mint did not issue the 2006 Kennedy Half Dollar (Buy on eBay) for circulation. Rather the coins were only available to collectors within various numismatic product offerings.
On February 15, 2006, the US Mint began sales of two roll sets of half dollars containing one 20-coin roll from the Philadelphia Mint and one 20-coin roll from the Denver Mint. This product was priced at $35.50 compared to the face value of $20. Also available were bags containing 200 coins with an equal number included for each mint mark. These were priced at $135.00 compared to the face value of $100.
Other versions of the Kennedy Half Dollar were available with the Mint’s annual set products. Proof versions struck at the San Francisco Mint were available in both standard copper-nickel clad composition or 90% silver composition. These were included within the 2006 Proof Set and 2006 Silver Proof Set. Satin finish versions were struck at the Philadelphia and Denver Mints and available within the 2006 Mint Set.
2006 Kennedy Half Dollar Mintage and Specifications
- Circulation Mintage: 2,400,000 (Philadelphia), 2,400,000 (Denver)
- Proof Mintage: 2,000,428 (copper-nickel), 1,054,008 (silver proof)
- Mint Marks: P (Philadelphia), D (Denver), S (San Francisco)
- Composition: 91.67% copper, 8.33% nickel (standard) / 90% silver, 10% copper (silver proof)
- Weight: 11.34 grams (standard) / 12.50 grams (silver proof)
- Diameter: 30.61 mm