The 2004 Kennedy Half Dollar (Buy on eBay) was an issue produced only for collectors. This included the circulation strike versions of the coin, which were sold primarily at a premium to face value in rolls or bags, and the proof versions of the coin, which were sold within annual coin sets offered by the United States Mint.
The circulation strike versions were sold within two roll sets, containing one roll from the Philadelphia Mint and one roll from the Denver Mint, priced at $35.50 each. Also available were 200-coin bags, containing an equal number of coins from each mint, priced at $135.00 each. A final source of the coins was the annual uncirculated mint set, which included examples of each of the coins struck by the Mint for the year. The 2004-P and 2004-D half dollars had final mintages of 2,900,000 each.
The 2004-S proof and silver proof half dollars were available in the annual proof sets from the Mint. The first set contained each of the coins issued by the Mint for the year struck at the San Francisco Mint in proof quality in their standard compositions. The second set contained the dime, quarters, and half dollars struck in 90% silver, with the remaining coins struck in standard compositions. These sets were priced at $22.95 and $37.95.
2004 Kennedy Half Dollar Mintage and Specifications
- Circulation Mintage: 2,900,000 (Philadelphia), 2,900,000 (Denver)
- Proof Mintage: 1,789,488 (copper-nickel), 1,175,934 (silver proof)
- Mint Marks: P (Philadelphia), D (Denver), S (San Francisco)
- Composition: 91.67% copper, 8.33% nickel (standard) / 90% silver, 10% copper (silver proof)
- Weight: 11.34 grams (standard) / 12.50 grams (silver proof)
- Diameter: 30.61 mm